Subject: [Leica] OT: Epson 1280 recommendations
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 18:30:22 -0500

On 5/8/2010 5:48 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> I did a fair amount of darkroom work starting in the 1970's, before
>> digital came along. Got out of printing much then, got too busy
>> keeping my business going. What ink/paper would be best for the Epsons
>> for b&w?
>>

> I am very much a B&W kind of guy 9 out of 10 of the 5x7 prints I have with
> me every day in the front pocket of my camera bag* are black and white.
> Printed on  Moab Entrada Rag Natural 190
> http://moabpaper.com/entrada-rag-natural-190/
> 5 x 7    25 sheets    $13.98
> See those Mesas? That's my photo portfolio box!
> 190 gsm / 15.5 mil
> 100% cotton / machine made
> Double Sided
> Natural / OBA Free
> Water-resistant
>
> The  "inks" I use as I mentioned are the Epson ones which come with the
> printer.  UltraChrome K3? Ink **.
> Which are archival quality pigment. A standard for fine art printers and
> prints and commercial too. Though they've moved on in the past years.
> Don't make a big deal  out of it.  Just start printing again.
>

> There are 4 shades of gray in the Inkset they work great for black and
> white
> and the colors come in handy too. I've used quadtones. They're not worth
> it.
>

> [Rabs]
> Mark William Rabiner

Yep. I've pretty much settled on Epson Velvet Fine Art (don't know the
manufacturer). It is around $3/sheet at Atlex (13x19). I've printed a
lot with the quadtone sets, but there are better solutions now. I would
consider the quadtones if I did not have a RIP or a modern Epson printer
- and if I printed continually. But if I printed continually, I would
get a modern Epson printer.....

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT: Epson 1280 recommendations)