Subject: [Leica] Got a plug for 40-yeara-old work
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 00:31:42 -0400

Ric:

A. are you kissing that thing, or taking a picture?

B. you saw, and photographed, Duane Allman? I'm fainting. I think he was one
of the greatest musicians of his era. An amazing talent.

C. Charly Mann read Artistotle's Nicomachean Ethics in *tenth grade????  *He
was  *assigned ***Nicomachean Ethics in tenth grade??? Do you realize what
this means about this country? My HS age son recently read Farenheit 451 in
a class (12th grade) and was discussing in class how such an anti-book,
anti-idea program could be conducted now by a tyrannical government and I
suggested to him that in this age of fast moving text and information this
would require a lot of work and a lot of resources and, even more
importantly, open repression creates an enemy that otherwise likely would
not exist --- so, I said, wouldn't it be easier if the governing forces of a
society simply worked quietly not to eradicate books but to eradicate
people's interest in them? Isn't it easier systematically to make everyone
stupid? In this regard I offer up Charly Mann's story of being assigned
Nicomachean Ethics in tenth grade.

Thanks for posting this.

Vince