Subject: [Leica] IMG: Wait Time
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 19:57:23 -0500

On 5/25/2010 6:11 PM, Ken Carney wrote:
> On 5/24/2010 8:28 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
>> PESO:
>>
>> Another one from Charleston, with the M8.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/image/124891037
>>
>> One one monitor it looks too saturated, on the other not.  ?  Maybe it's
>> time to recalibrate but which one?
>>
>> <http://www.pbase.com/image/124891037>C&C greatly appreciated.
>>
> Both?
>
> Ken Carney
> Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

After I replied, I remembered some information in the scant
documentation for ColorEyes Display Pro, the software I use.  I use two
monitors, but only one is calibrated.  The second just carries the PS
tools palette.  According to ColorEyes, we have two software choices for
the black point.  One is absolute rendering, the other is relative
rendering.  Evidently only absolute rendering will allow matching of
monitors, and then only for "high quality" monitors.   In absolute
rendering, zero RGB is sent to the monitor as such.  In relative
rendering, the software maps the darkest values relative to its ability
to display them.  Evidently I have a lower quality monitor, since if I
select absolute rendering, the blacks are blocked.  So, I use relative
rendering with minimum luminance, which gives good results but will not
allow two monitors to be exactly matched.  So, matching monitors is more
difficult than I thought.  So, again I wonder - what do people see on
their monitors compared to mine?  I know that with an accurate paper
profile I can have the printer match what I see on the monitor, so all
is reasonably well there.  Maybe a color workflow match over the
internet is not to be?  Much to learn as always.

Ken Carney
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Message from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] IMG: Wait Time)