Subject: [Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 01:15:59 -0400

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>

> ... tiny NEX cameras with 1.5 crop like the Leica X1 instead of the
> dumb 2x crop cameras
> <<<
>
> 1.5x crop is still smaller than the M8's 1.33x sensor.  Why is this
> exciting and the M8 isn't?
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com
 Did

I never said the M8 was not exciting.
But the difference between a 1.5 crop and a 1.33 crop is not that much.
Just a  couple of millimeters.
For a camera which is a third the size and weight.
Such a pocketable camera with such a nice sized sensor is truly Leica like.
Small neg big pix.
I didn't compare it to an M8 nor even mention then M8.
As your mentioning it now I'd guess the M8 would have a real edge in quality
over the NEX but not always to substantial one  to justify the substantial
extra poundage. The NEX you'd  have with you for sure. With the pancake on
it. It would fit in your pants pocket.
The full frame M9  though I'm sure would blow the NEX out of the water
picture quality wise. You could put it in a pound on your belt like I used
to with my M6. Barely new I had it with me. Didn't need no Rollei 35.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from pasvorn at boonmark.net (Pasvorn Boonmark) ([Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.)