Subject: [Leica] Image storage question.
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:38:37 -0400

CD/DVD life cycle is extrapolated based on accelerated aging tests. Actual
life cycle will not be know for another 80 years or so, as someone else
mentioned. Higher data density implies poorer durability, in general.

The example of the digital Doomsday Book is I think instructive.

Archivists need to be conservative with technology. I think there is at
least one amongst our midst.

Analog media like film and paper are boring but is known to last at least
50-70 years and can be viewed with the human eye without much, if any,
technology.

Regards,
Spencer