Subject: [Leica] Your saloon keeper: the fourth stooge
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:45:10 -0700

I've been running the LUG using the same software (MHonArc) for 18 years,
and
for 18 years the job of closing out a digest volume and opening a new one
has
been tedious.

Today I closed out volume 44 and began a new volume. Part of closing out a
volume is regenerating all of the indexes so that instead of saying

    Topic index of LUG archive for Vol 44 (Jan 2010 - )

they say

    Topic index of LUG archive for Vol 44 (Jan 2010 - Jun 2010)

Not a big deal, but it is a deal. Somehow, for 18 years I have failed to
realize that if I delete one message from the archive after closing the
volume, the software will automatically regenerate the index to close it up
around the now-gone message.

I close out volumes rarely enough that I have written down the procedure and
follow it from written notes notes every time. I have just added to my
written
procedure these steps:

   * Add a junk message to the archive
   * Edit the index configuration file to have the truth about dates
   * Delete the junk message that you just added.

Whew. I think I'll use the extra 2 hours that this has given me to go take
pictures of something.

Brian Reid
LUG Saloon Keeper

Replies: Reply from topoxforddoc at btinternet.com (Charlie Chan) ([Leica] Your saloon keeper: the fourth stooge)