Subject: [Leica] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 14:25:14 -0400

Hi Jim,

All very true.

My preference right now is to avoid Seagate as they shipped me a
bad-from-the-box replacement 320GB HDD after the original HDD failed last
year. This means they are not spending enough on quality control.

If you have a PC shop you trust, ask them which HDDs are having problems (or
which one would they recommend). They don't like unhappy customers and
unhappy customers don't like them and they are always current on problems
which are appearing.

The other suggestion I would offer is to have backups via different methods.
For example, I use a Time Capsule, a home made NAS and an external disk
which I backup to using different S/W (Apple's Time Machine, rsync and disk
cloning)

Regards,
Spencer

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Seeking Hard Drive Advice)