Subject: [Leica] 21mm f1.4 Summilux - the next "must have?"
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 22:58:34 -0400

> The  50 R Summilux was upgraded just before the R system was cancelled
> (to the E60 filter version) but the 50 R Summicron hadn't been
> redesigned since 1976.
>
> There is a prototype 50/2 M asph at Solms that they have on display or
> show to factory tours periodically.  I think they decided not to
> release it because it would be too expensive for a lens of that
> specification and most of the proposed features ended up going into
> the 50/1.4 asph.  Given their recent price structure it wouldn't
> surprise me if it appears eventually.  The old lend could do with
> upgrading: among other things, the overall look of the images it
> produces no longer matches as well as it used to with the rest of the
> M line - and I have always thought that a major strength of the M
> lenses was a very strong familial similarity in their imaging
> characteristics.  All the recent (post 50/1.4 asph) asph lenses render
> almost identically but just with different focal lengths and
> apertures.
>
> Marty

And they cancelled the 2.8 a year or so ago.
Now that the M9 is out the 50 is a very strong focal length again and the
identify is back on many of its lens focal lengths.
I'm sure the slow end of its 50's is on the short list.
A Summicron if not an elmar.
If I was running Leica they'd be coming out with a strong new 40mm lens.
Even more "normal" and workable than a 50.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] 21mm f1.4 Summilux - the next "must have?")
Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] 21mm f1.4 Summilux - the next "must have?")