Subject: [Leica] Photoshopping for Truth?
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 22:59:43 -0400

Absolutely, but the philosophy of what is and is not reality in the
viewfinder in front of the artist is not what is in question. We can
keep altering photos all we like and all of a sudden Child Protective
Services won't have any kids with visible marks from abuse and neglect.
Get the right person in charge of media and the images of concentration
camp liberation could be conveniently altered to meet the needs of an
editor or someone more powerful. But then again, that was only a
portion of reality as curated by an artist with a camera...

Product photography is great, alter it all you want, but when something
is supposed to be news and the alteration of a photo changes its power,
political and emotional meaning, or has the potential to change that
meaning, the photo should remain unchanged.

Phil Forrest