Subject: [Leica] IMG: A little recital
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 22:47:20 -0700

Thanks, Mark.  My first version had no sharpening at all, and it needed
a little, which I realized after seeing Geoff's private comment to me.
For the final version, I used Capture One's default sharpening for the
full-sized image. Then I made a mask for the eyes, and sharpened only
them a bit more. I also added a bit of local contrast through the same
mask. This was perfect for both the letter-sized print I made, and for
the screen-size image I posted. Bright-light pictures with the M8 often
don't need much if any sharpening, and C-One's default is often too much
for screen-sized pictures. This one had a teeny bit of motion blur if I
pixel-peeped at 100%, so I used sharpening to clarify and emphasize the
eyes.

I tend to post pictures at reasonable screen size for a 1280x1024
monitor, and no bigger.  Saves bandwidth and storage space.  It's fine
unless you want to pixel-peep.

You don't see any piano because she wasn't sitting at one.  This was a
head and upper-body shot that will go in a program for a competition for
which she's on the jury.  The boy played cello without accompaniment.

--Peter

Mark (aka "Rabs") wrote,