Subject: [Leica] Posing Help
From: simon.ogilvie at gmail.com (Simon Ogilvie)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 22:02:30 +0100

Aram wrote:
> I have volunteered to take some family photos at a friend's gathering.
> There will be up to 12 individuals and I was wondering if anyone has
> any tips for posing such a large group.  We are probably going to take
> them at our local arboretum, so foliage will be the predominant
> background.   Any help/links would be appreciated.

The key thing I try to do with large groups is get them on different levels
to avoid having a long thin strip of faces!  Get some to sit down - perhaps
there's a fallen tree in the arboretum, or if not maybe take some folding
chairs with you to let the older people sit while the younger ones gather
round them.  You see a lot of press photogs standing on step ladders to look
down on large groups of people.  I'm not keen on the resulting angles but
you may want to give it a try if you want that look.

As for light, get them all into the shade if possible - direct sunlight will
blow out the highlights and make them squint, so put them in the shade of a
tree with trees behind to avoid an over-bright background.  I sometimes then
use a little fill-in flash to get shadow areas brought up a bit and give
highlights in the eyes.

Above all, keep talking to the group and keep them interested - there's
nothing worse than a lot of bored looking faces, or some people looking at
the camera while others attention is wandering elsewhere!  Make it fun and
you'll keep them interested.

Good luck!
Simon.