Subject: [Leica] Photoshopping for Truth? (and a sneaky real estate FS Friday)
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:49:07 -0700

After reading many of the responses to the original post, I find that
I agree with Tina Manley and would like to explain why.

First, I cannot dispute Rabs' point, that no significant "lie"
occurred, no political implications can be drawn, from the deletion
of a person from the picture. In terms of the possible difference of
mood--was he alone, was he accompanied--one is just nit picking.

So, why do I agree with Tina? It is precisely because it becomes a
judgement call, because, as others have said, it has to be decided on
a case by case basis. That is exactly the point! There will always be
the borderline case, where there is strong difference of opinion as
to whether the alteration of a picture does or does not change the
meaning of the photographed incident. For this very reason, it is
better to have a fixed rule: do not alter the content of a
journalistic photograph.

Clearly, this should not be applied to the digital equivalent of
dodging, which, in general, cannot change the meaning of the
photograph in a news sense.

At the risk of going a bit off topic: I don't understand the
prohibition by many journals of a technique whose name I can't
remember, namely taking a rapid sequence of bracketing shots and
reducing the result to one composite in order to cover a greater
luminance range.

Herb
--
Herbert Kanner