Subject: [Leica] photographing the homeless
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:37:59 -0400

It _is_ one of the 10 Commandments of Leica Photography not to photograph
homeless people, but there are obvious caveats to that. I do believe that
you probably shouldn't be photographing homeless people unless you know
their names and you're on the same side of the street as them.

Omar frequently has something dramatic and pointed to say, which makes him
popular, he's also often spectacularly well dressed. I've come to think of
him as the Duke of Locust Street where he hangs out, pontificating,
drinking, and sometimes yelling at people. I've probably been taking photos
of him, off and on, for five or six years. I ran into him yesterday and he
said "I'm getting old. I want to live in the suburbs. This might be the last
time you see me." He was wearing a Tweetie Bird shirt and had a matching
stuffed toy. We shook hands and I thought it would be a little sad if it
was, in fact, the last time I saw him. But I ran into him again about three
hours later and he was wearing an entirely new wardrobe.

I shot this with my iLeica.

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2010/omar-tweetie-1200.jpg

Love to hear your thoughts & opinions on the history of photography &
homelessness & what books you like.

Ignore incoming calls on your camera,

Kyle

Replies: Reply from von-ohlen at sbcglobal.net (Bill Larsen) ([Leica] photographing the homeless)