Subject: [Leica] Altered Photo Ric and reality
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:04:33 -0500

In the world of journalism, documentary film and photography
we have "reporters" and the "viewer/reader."

Reporters may include: writers, producers, editors, photographers,
journalists, cinematographers and photographers.
The viewer/reader has some expectation that these individuals and teams
strive to communicate some "semblance of reality" on the subject being
documented and/or reported.

On one extreme of the continuum we have bland lists (either visual or
verbal) of who, what, when and where;
on the other end of the continuum we have extreme propaganda; or even
outright deception.

Most documentary work done with some skill, art and integrity
falls in the broad middle ground between these extremes.
Fine documentary work provides some semblance of reality;
yet with a point of view (or even several points of view).

Justice, truth, reality - words which refer to concepts we strive to
understand
through our own subjective experience, collective history
and the integrity of our historians, philosophers, journalists and
documentarians.

The reality of the media itself (a photograph, a film, a story, a book)
lives as a separate, human point of view;
only vaguely referring to an actual event or series of events.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com