Subject: [Leica] Friday WTB: Cosina 12mm, 15mm M mount?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (red735i at earthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 07:11:36 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Stephen Gandy claims the Voigtlander lenses are not coded to be in
compliance with Leica patents.  I think that is nonsense.... Voigtlander is
almost as slow as Leica to come out with user friendly options ( see M mount
lenses!)  But Zeiss also does not code its lenses... so maybe it is true....

See :
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/39737-removing-zeiss-m-18mm-flange-mount.html
for info on coding the Zeiss 18 with Milich.....say an additional $150

The Zeiss 18 may be a good choice, but I have never handled nor shot one of
them....but the finder is supposed to be excellent...and the huge LEica WATE
finder is a piece of ... well... garbage..... it distorts terribly.  Really
terrible.  Did I mention how big it is?

I have never tried a separate 18mm Leica FInder.  But for $800 it had better
take its own pictures!

The finder at 18mm is pretty critical.... you need something.  So the price
of the Zeiss is the lens ( about $1200) plus finder ( about $400) plus
Milich coding ( $150)   The leica is $3500 plus finder ($800 Leica, $400
Zeiss)  or the WATE complete for about $3500 ( I think you said....)

The WATE is most flexible, the Zeiss cheapest, the Super Elmar most $$$ and
probably the best, optically.

My $0.02??? Get the LTM 15mm Heliar for $300 or so, and try it out.... you
can sell it later for $300 if you do not like it or decide to get a
different lens.... Super Wides are pretty weird lenses, and some never get
the hang of their use.... besides, how many time are you going to use a 15mm
lens?  It is not like it is a "normal" lens.....

There, I said it.  I am now going up to my room.

Frank