Subject: [Leica] IMG: Family
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:10:01 -0500

While this is hypothetically possible
(and in some rare cases even probably true);

in my own personal experience
those around me,
who seem obsessed with their phone screen and keypad,
do not read books;
not on their phones
nor on their computer, Kindle, Sony Reader
nor in paper form.

Those that I know who read books, newspapers and magazines
(whether paper or electronic versions)
tend to do so when alone and in private.
When they're with me they give me their attention;
and I offer them the same courtesy.

I'm not sure how many people share my experience;
but I have 5 or 6 friends and or family members
who find it necessary to view and type on their phones
at least once every few minutes
(and often much more frequently);
during every moment they're awake.
If standing or walking they carry their phones in their hands;
not in their pockets.
When sitting the phone lays on the table in front of them,
or, if a table is not available, in their lap
for constant reference and quick pickup;
For the most part these are people in their 20's or 30's.
But a couple are approaching 50.

I observe the same behavior with younger people in parks, pubs, restaurants
et al.
They're not reading books or magazines;
they're socializing with friends and family who are not "present;"
and, while texting, not socializing with those who are present.

At least that's the way it feels to those of us attempting to maintain
the thread of conversation.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com