Subject: [Leica] Digital point and shoot
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:29:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 Gerry Walden <gwpics at me.com>wrote:

>I have got to the stage where I want an alternative to my Nikon DSLR gear
>that is more like the M6 I used to know and love. The reality is >that I
>want an M8 or M9 but simply cannot afford more than about ?400 ($600) and
>have been looking at the Canon G11. Are there any >viable alternatives that
>shoot RAW out there, with personal recommendations?

>Thanks,

>Gerry
=====================================================================================================
I'm loving my Panasonic Lumix LX3.  It shoots RAW, has a Vario-Summicron
lens that is an f/2 at 24mm equiv. and zooms to an equivalent of 60mm where
it is still an f/2.8.  I like 90mm lenses, and wished the zoom went there,
but I still love this camera. (I was a bit non-plussed to hear this week
that there will be an LX5 that goes to an equiv. 90mm.  Oh, well.)

I handled a G11 and an S90 before I bought my LX3, and found them "fiddly",
with controls that were too easy to change accidentally. The Lumix seems to
fit photographers (like me) who like to tell the camera what to do.

Check out these samples I've shot:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Portraits/EyeBall_AMR_LX3_067.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Miscellaneous/Cows_AMR_LMX101.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Cars/Millers+at+the+Mile/>