Subject: [Leica] What are the rumors around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:57:12 -0400

- a new M9 would no be necessarily an improvement but would just be another
option. Another one.
In the current Canon and Nikon pro lines you have two options on a body
you'd pick out.
1. expanded resolution.
2. expanded ISO's

A senor seems to be optimized for one or the other.
The M9 as is stands now  at day one stage has a relatively high megapixel
size and ok but not terrific iso range. Its a bit in the middle of things
but towards the top.
The next one which comes out will use some other sensor which will give you
one or the other. Expanded iso. Or expanded MP.
I'd be more interested in the former. I like shooting at night and I don't
need to cover my wall with a print.

Breaking news today that I got in an auto email from Nikon by the way is the
Nasa space photos taken most recently with a Nikon camera they are all proud
about that. I guessed it was with the expanded megapixel file size D3x and I
was wrong. Nasa brought a D3s to outer space the last time.
Though current Russian space program just bought two D3x's and and D3s I
thought I read this morning. But I didn't even know they had a current space
program.

In the short run I envision very clearly Leica having soon in effect an M9x
and M9s call them what you will. It's history that just haven't gotten
around to quite happening yet.
Maybe to be announced in the burgeoning Photokina about to be foisted upon
us. I wish I was there. Shooting the Dome in Cologne with the latest Leica
glass on an M9 with a brand new sensor.

They'll get more shelf space next to the Frosted flakes and sell more units
to even happier photo makers. Who get to buy the whole collection. Or pick
the one closest to their needs or wallet. The X version gives them usualy a
chance to pay way more money... Then the Jones next door.

--
Mark William Rabiner
mark at rabinergroup.com