Subject: [Leica] IMG: Trip to BC, Canada
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:03:15 -0700

We spent last week in British Columbia, Canada. First stop was Vancouver,
where we saw Tom and Tuulikki Abrahamsson, Howard and Esther Cummer, and
Alex Shishin and his wife Sawako-san, who were visiting from Japan. We
also explored the streets and the SkyTrain, and saw a exhibit of
fin-du-siecle French art at the Vancouver Art Gallery, where we met up
with some of the Leica gang again. The Vancouver pictures are here:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/BC2010-Vancouver/>

Then it was on the Whistler area. We stayed a bit north, in Pemberton,
rather than in the hyperkinetic commercial concession that is Whistler
Village itself. We went up the mountain lifts to the summits of Whistler
and Blackcombe mountains, hiked the trails up there, and explored a couple
of area waterfalls and lakes.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/BC2010-Whistler-Pemb/>

Then it was over the mountains and into the interior of BC, through
Lilloet and on to Logan Lake, wherein reside David Young and Rose Manzer.
There was smoke from the many BC forest fires in the air, sometimes just a
hint, sometimes enough to obscure the view to the next hillside. No
matter, we still saw a huge copper mine, herds of wild horses, some local
waterfowl, and a coyote. The bears sent their regrets and did not show
themselves.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/BC2010-LoganLkEtc/>

Then we returned home via Vancouver and a meetup with Henning and Tanya
Wulff. We hung out on Chuckanut Drive near Bellingham, WA on the way back.
 Now I am back at work, but I don't have to believe it if I don't want to.
 :-)

I have a very painful "frozen shoulder," and didn't want to hassle with a
lot of lens changes. So this was the first trip in years that I did not
photograph with a Leica M.  Instead, I brought the Panasonic G1 with kit
zoom, the 20/1.7 and one lens for Leica--a VC 90/3.5 Lanthar, which makes
a fabulous 180mm equivalent on micro 4/3. Focusing the 90 was easy on
static subjects, not so easy on a galloping herd of wild horses.

Enjoy,
--Peter

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] IMG: Trip to BC, Canada)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] IMG: Trip to BC, Canada)