Subject: [Leica] Legs
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:10:12 -0400

I have not followed this thread at all but it seems like that is the issue.
That this is a surreptitious shot of a women's leg and here we all are
discussing it on a camera trading list.
Was that issue ever brought up? It was my impression no one cared.
Does the women know the photograph was taken at all and is now being
discused and peered at on the internet? I'm guessing not.

Engagement is the issue.

Our subjects need to be engaged.
You get that with a normal use of wide angle glass on Leica gear.
You're not off in the distance photographing people.
When you're not working close there gets to be a voyeuristic aspect of the
whole deal. I'm getting that here.
If this shot were of a sister or daughter or wife or close friend would we
all be as blas? about it? I think not.

The shot sounds worse then it is.
But its not well thought out or executed. And it's ill conceived.
It's muddy and at a poor angle.
Ralph Gibson could have pulled it off. And we'd know what the women's name
was.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com