Subject: [Leica] IMG: ? Crop-no-crop ?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 11:12:14 -0700

philippe.amard showed:
Subject: [LRflex] IMG: ? Crop-no-crop ?

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Switzerland/Semi+Abstract+Waterfall-1010584.jpg.html
> > slight crop of the top
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Switzerland/Waterfall-1010584.jpg.html
>
> What do you think?

Philippe mon ami,  (once again.) ;-)
The tighter crop for sure. WHY?
First of all this is a scene that is more beautiful to the eye than in a B&W
photograph because it is extremely busy and confusing!

The water fall when you were standing there shooting was one
of those very easy to see. Not only that, one can be affected by the
surroundings, therefore the "water fall aspect" becomes of a greater effect
to the eyes.

In a photograph, in this case B&W, much of the waterfall is confused with
the general over all background and land fall about it. It probably requires
a greater volume of  splashing water to make it of greater visibility than
we see here.

I'm sorry but thus is one of those, if I'd shot it, I'd put it a side as one
of those that was a nice place to see, but not one of my better
photographs in B&W. :-(

When you have to  "working and cropping to make a photo work?" In many
cases there isn't a good photo there to start with. Looks great to the
eyes, but in print?

Actually it can fall into the more you fiddle trying to make something out
of it...... it generally means there isn't a solid photograph in the first
place. UNLESS???

Maybe longer lenses to tighten on the waterfall subject and or the main
stream of
water.

However mon ami,  nice try! However? :-(

Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] IMG: ? Crop-no-crop ?)