Subject: [Leica] Flare Question......
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 16:37:53 +1000

Well I have no experience at all with the old Tri-Elmar but we were talking
about your Elmar M 90, which has an extending cylindrical hood. If you have
a B+W 486 fitted then the filter quality question is answered. UV/IR filters
should not be responsible for general flare which it sounds like you are
describing. They can possibly introduce reflections of specular light
sources in frame in some circumstances, but that is point reflections
(ghosts of streetlights for example), not flare. I think that you should
look at it and both exposed optical surfaces of your lens as well as maybe
take a peek through with a strong light. That last should reveal any
internal disasters. But just clean the filter as I first suggested and try
again. That would have been my first port of call over any more sinister
causes.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman