Subject: [Leica] 35mm 1.4 and be there
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:04:55 -0400

February 19,2000 yours truly celebrated the new world era by blowing a cool
$1,495 on a late breaking ASPH f2 Summicron M figuring he most be some kind
of &^%$ millionaire but some uncle died and was in the flush. (replacement
cost last I looked $2,795)
The new at the time 1.4 ASPH looked the same and weighed the same but was a
stop faster and a grand more money. So I opted for the low priced spread.
You could have gotten 4 or 5 Canon or nikon lenses for that money.
F 2 has always struck me as "fast" I don't care what the focal length.
It did re invent the quality of work I'd been getting and have a shot I did
at night in Boston hand held which people think is medium format I shot with
Delta 400 in Xtol 1:3. I think I have it here in NY. A 11x14 darkroom print.
Not sure if I have a similar shot done with nikon glass but this shot does
get an oooh or aaaah from the preview audience.

September 15 2010
Late breaking news after waiting for decades for Nikon to stop cranking out
mindless zooms it comes out with an AF 35mm lens I can really use. An f 1.4
AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G For a heaping #2,652!!!

I thought things would be cheaper shooting Nikon but I'm plagued with bad
luck in this particular time warp continuum on that account. Time to get a
night job as a watchman in Coney Island.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091511nikon35mm.asp

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com