Subject: [Leica] M9 Titanium: we have seen the future
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:11:50 +0200

  Emanuel,

He's chief designer at the VW Group/Audi in Ingolstadt
- designed the Audi A6 and A5, did the makeover of the
Lamborghini Miura.  Started off at Alfa Romeo where he
designed the 147 and 156 models, moved to SEAT and then
to VW where he stopped the production of and redesigned
the VW Golf VI before going to VW's premium brand Audi.

The loop is about the only thing that somehow looks a
bit tacky - metal covered in leather (leather offcuts
from Audi interiors)  - neither a strap nor a grip, and
I can't see it finding many friends if it's carried on
to later models.

To me, it looks as if it could rip your knuckles open
given half a chance..

The whole thing is quite a clever move by Leica - a
redesign job, a try out for a few product innovations
and new tooling - and then sell off 500 (501? with the
one they presented - not sure about that) prototypes as
special editions to recoup the costs. Neat move!

Cheers
Douglas