Subject: [Leica] Dave's PAW (*) 2010 #39
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:34:27 -0400

> A new picture.
>
> See it here
> <http://www.dlkphotography.com/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=0>.
>
> Thanks for looking.

a whacking great pole shoved up the middle of the image is not a typical
formula for success, but here it works for me: this is one of the best
images I've seen for a while and "inspires" me to try looking differently
at the normal scenes around me. The sense of "isolation" and the
"disenfranchisement" in this almost symmetrical modern image is palpable.
This couple look so far away from each other. What a contrast to images of
street scenes in Europe, where the couple would have been talking and
discussing life. Here they look like they will never meet!!

I know not everyone will have this reaction, but I think its very hard to
photograph daily "western" scenes just because often there is no-one on
the streets, but to find a couple on the street and present them in
isolation evokes for me a real story of social destruction in a
superficially "perfect" world.

Enough ranting.

Cheers

Alastair