Subject: [Leica] Venice
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 21:09:59 -0700

  There's a better way.  Sometimes they paint the cloth over the
scaffolding to look like the underlying building.  Look closely at the
clock tower and section immediately to its right in this picture.  I
took it in 2001 in Siena's Piazza Del Campo, using an on-topic M4-P and
35 Summicron:

<http://sonatina.org/italy/camponight.htm>
(crummy scan from a 4x6 print, but you'll get the idea).

I appreciate the need for funding, and I appreciate the companies that
give it. But in the last 40 years there has been a marked change in what
the companies demand in return.  In the classical music world, back in
the 70s, the funders got a discrete announcement at the beginning of a
radio or TV program, or a mention in the concert program.  Now, they get
their mission statement read on the air. And in concert programs and
marqees, they often get their name bigger than the orchestra's, bigger
than the soloist's, bigger than the composers.  The Artistic Director or
one of the performers comes out and effuses about how wonderful XYZ
Widgets, Inc. is, and leads the audience in a round of applause.
Principal chairs in many symphony orchestras are named after the company
or wealthy patron who endowed them.

In other words, the donor's "cut" of our attention is increasing.
Marketing types see arts funding simply as a means to get their message
to more ears and eyeballs.  Or at best, they view such desecration as a
"win-win":  'You get your building fixed or your concert put on, and I
get my message to all these people.'

Unless it can be shown that it actually lowers sales, this practice will
continue, and it will increase. Sad to see it take root in Europe,
though--I thought only we Americans were so crass.

As Frank said, "If I were King..."

--Peter