Subject: [Leica] "Best" R-Series Lens
From: kapner at earthlink.net (Leonard J Kapner)
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 10:35:22 -0700

Hi Frank,

The lens in my bag now is the Leica APO-Elmarit-R 1:2.8/180mm, purchased new
about 10 years ago.

Previously I had the APO-Telyt-R f:3.4 that everyone on the LUG who owns one
raves about. Just after purchase of the APO-Elmarit, I did a careful A:B
comparison of both lenses and was more than satisfied with the signature of
the newer lens, although there's no denying the earlier APO-Telyt was (and,
I suppose, is) the better economic buy. Eventually, I sold the APO-Telyt.

Either lens is a wonderful short tele, in my opinion. If, like me, you
prefer to shoot the slower transparency films like Kodak E100VS or Fuji
Velvia 100, you may find circumstances (particularly off-tripod) where you
need and want the extra light gathering the 2.8 affords. Or if bulk and cost
is no object, get the Summicron!

In retrospect, although I really like the APO-Elmarit, if I hadn't bought
it, I believe the APO-Telyt would still be serving me well for my intended
application.

I hope this is a helpful answer to your question, Frank.

Len

---