Subject: [Leica] Well fed polar bear (IMG)
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 22:00:47 -0400

>  does this mean we get a magic Month in the polar zones instead of magic
> hour?
>
> ric
> <<<
>
> More like 6 months.  Any time the sun is above the horizon it's low in the
> sky.  Outstanding photos, Alastair.  My favorite is the bear dipping her
> toes in the water.  Simply luminous!
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Yes, that's the sort of image the combination of the DMR with fine glass
(180 summicron with 2x apo converter) can produce. As she slipped off into
the water, I would have liked a little more "buffer" BUT really in the end
you only use one or two shots, so taking 6000 is only going to confuse the
issue. It may increase the odds a bit.

Here is a shot where I wanted the look, got it, but just missed the focus.

http://tinyurl.com/2e3slz3

re-focused

http://tinyurl.com/25n5t4l

but the real moment was gone.

I would have loved a 600mm lens that day, not sure 20 megapixels would
have helped much. Not sure if autofocus would help: you can easily focus
on the wrong bit and I usually find I prefer manual, BUT a bit more pull
on the lens would have been wonderful.

Cheers

Alastair