Subject: [Leica] Well I went and did it
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:38:13 -0500

  I am not saying the Leica is a magic "invisible camera"  That is just
stupid.  What I am saying is that when using the big professional SLR
gear I get stopped and asked about my cameras A LOT more than when I am
using my little G2 or even if I am using my Ms and shooting film.  After
the first 100 comments of the day it is annoying.

I am talking about what happens while working.  Not from "theory" but
from my actual experience.  When I am working carrying my two EOS 1D
series bodies with the 70-200 2.8L on one and 16-35 2.8 L on the other I
get stopped at least a dozen times by people commenting on my cameras.

When I am shooting people they know I am shooting them. I am not
"sneaky" shooting people.  I see something I want to shoot I pick my
camera up and wait for it all to come together, often with the 16-35 up
close and personal.  If people look at me I simply look over the top of
my camera smile at them and say please just ignore me and keep doing
what you are doing.  Nine times out of 10 they do just that. I operate
the same way using the Leica or the Canon cameras, so there is no magic
bullet there.  That is more the attitude of the photographer, not the
camera in use.

As I said this is not conjecture but my experience.  I think, Mark, you
are adding a lot more to this that what I actually said.

Harrison.

On 10/19/10 11:41 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> Yes but this has nothing to do with the idea that a ubiquitous nikon or
> canon makes you stand out while a million dollar M9 makes you supposedly
> blend in.
> And I hear Julia Roberts sold sneakers in Smyrna ?!

NO ARCHIVE