Subject: [Leica] Handstrap for M(9)?
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 10:39:50 -0500

> On Oct 23, 2010, at 10:35 AM, Howard Ritter wrote:
>
> > I'm sure that there's a grip + strap combination for Ms, the 8/9 in
particular, that allows secure one-handed handling/shooting. I just can't
recall the details or find a lead to one.

A couple months ago, I decided that I'd had it with tripod screws, so I went
to Really Right Stuff, and got one of their M8 bases, that allow their
tripod head to clamp on.    I use tripods only for fireworks, but since I'm
working and moving around in the dark, I really wanted ease and security of
attachment.

I got a nice compact Giotti tripod, and I was set.   The base feels more
substantial than the stamped steel M8 base.  I also never have the problem
of it not being clicked into place after battery change, or unloading an SD
card..

I added Griptac from Cameraleather to the camera,  and then recently, I
decided to buy the add-on Really Right Stuff Grip.

 I like the way it fit a lot better than the Leica M8 accessory grip, but it
was a little too slick.

Some 3M Outdoor strip material that I cut to fit fixed the slickness.  It
was a bit course, so I rubbed  the grit down with a screwdriver  blade, and
now it is just right.

I use an Upstrap, so when I'm shooting, I take a couple wraps of that on my
right hand, and everything feels secure.  I've been doing the wrap for
years, and I notice in the little movie about Craig Semetko, that he does
the same thing.  That frees you to use the strap on your neck or shoulder as
well.  I had a true leather grip on my R3, and never liked it.

http://www.sonc.com/M8-RRS.htm

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,