Subject: [Leica] T Stops
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:19:48 -0700

One of the main issues is with dof. If the cameras compensate for
loss of steeper angle rays with gain, it's not that much of a deal
for me either. If you have a noticeable gain in dof (or 'loss of
shallowness') then you're not really getting what you paid for when
you buy the fastest lenses. You should be able to check this by
comparing shots at various apertures taken with CMOS sensors,
especially the worst offenders like the Nikon D40 and D60 and shots
taken on film. If there is a noticeable difference in the dof at
large apertures then I think the manufacturer's better come clean.

CCD sensors apparently don't have quite as deep 'wells'. The article
mentions though that MF cameras use CCD's so that camera movements
can be used more readily. The Canon TSE lenses I use can be shifted
and tilted quite extensively with excellent quality and no obvious
problems due to oblique rays, but they are of quite retrofocus
design. Still, with the amount of shift I would think that there
would be significant shading if the lens were shifted/tilted to its
extreme. The rays are about as oblique as any coming from the exit
pupil of the 85/1.2. Also, when there is this extreme tilt/shift
there is no auto gain-up, as this would be noticeable from the part
of the image that still passes through the other side of the lens and
remains perpendicular to the sensor.

In view of the above I remain quite skeptical about this article as a
whole. I don't think they have a true handle on what's happening,
just as DXO doesn't seem to have a handle on some of their 'quality'
criteria or measurements.

On the M9 I get approximately the same difference in exposure in the
readout and in the final results with the Noctilux as I did on film,
which seems to me to indicate that the M9 (and M8) don't do this
gain-up.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design