Subject: [Leica] Pano play: Jersey City vacant lot.
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 18:31:47 -0400

I took the base photos for these a couple of months ago, when there
was some nice flat light to even things out, and just got around to
trying to get Photoshop CS5 to paste them up.  They're all from six
portrait-orientation frames with an M9 and 50mm Summicron (the latter
chosen for its very low geometric distortion), and I even got all
fancy with a nodal slide and custom color calibration with the DNG
Profile Editor.

All that technical stuff aside, I don't claim I have a particularly
beautiful overall composition -- if I attempt this same lot again,
should I notice a day with good light for it, I'll try it with the
pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron (to give myself more vertical from which to
crop, at the very least keeping the top of the building in the
middle), and see if my bigger tripod actually gets me properly above
the top of the damned chain-link fence, and see if a nice picture can
be carved from the result.

But I'm passing this along in case people might enjoy either seeing
how a couple of different CS5 pano-stitching methods look, or just
want to stare into a 50-plus-megapixel M9 image.

Oh, and I put these up on two websites: our home the LUG gallery (in
case you can get the panorama-viewer there to work properly for you; I
had difficulties), and my SmugMug-based site.  Oh, and the LUG Gallery
wouldn't let me upload my JPEGs at high quality, which was resulting
in 35-or-so-megabyte files - I ran afoul of its 10MB-per-picture
limit, so told Lightroom to compress-to-size.

So.  Stitched using Photoshop's "reposition" method, where frames are
pasted together with as little processing as possible:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jbm/scratch/20100824-JC-repo-10Mmax.jpg.html

http://photos.bazbarfoo.com/Scratch/LUGmisc1/11359884_aTkKE#1069032409_vfh2M-X3-LB

Stitched using Photoshop's "perspective" method (where Photoshop warps
the base images to try to create a seamless overall perspective), then
subjected to a little more transformation in Lightroom to try to level
things out:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jbm/scratch/20100824-JC-persp-10Mmax.jpg.html

http://photos.bazbarfoo.com/Scratch/LUGmisc1/11359884_aTkKE#1069034666_bE9T2-X3-LB

Enjoy, if you're interested.  I'm a sucker for the level of detail in
this stuff.

 -Jeff

Replies: Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Pano play: Jersey City vacant lot.)