Subject: [Leica] Comparison M9, R9
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 09:39:21 -0600

It could also very well mean
that actual, real, and extensive experience
with both the equipment and image files under discussion
trumps the theory that "whatever is newest qualifies as best
in all cases and under every condition."

I don't own an M9.
I cannot compare it's image files to the DMR, 5D or M8 that do own.
Yet it does not surprise me the those who do own an M9
can see differences as they compare their image files.
Each system has made necessary compromises to achieve different design goals.
The micro lenses on the M9 sensor are sure to have an effect different than
the DMR.
The firmware will have an effect how the 16 bit information is translated,
etc.
The M9 is optimized for ISO 160.
The DMR is optimized for ISO 100.
I'm sure the list could go on.

In either case we're talking about top shelf gear;
each able to do a certain set of tasks extremely well,
within the scope of their limitations and advantages.
And neither able to do some things as well other gear.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com