Subject: [Leica] thinking Zone System/I've been lucky
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:13:36 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010  George Lottermoser <imagist3 at mac.com>wrote:

>No kidding!
>I used to spend literally days calibrating a film/developer.

>Now it's minutes to determine the approximate dynamic range of your camera;
>or maybe an hour if you want to take notes and fine tune within half stops;
>and at various ISO speeds.

>Regards,
>George Lottermoser
I guess I've only "felt" the zone system, being a self-taught, "seat of the
pants" photographer.  I never calibrated a film/developer combination; just
used the general theory loosely, metering with an incident meter and
developing by inspection.  Maybe I'm closer to Dr. Ted in philosophy and
practice.  Haven't ever calibrated a monitor either.  ;~)

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3 at uwm.edu