Subject: [Leica] IMGs: visual thinking
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:42:38 -0600

Jayanand,

Joe Public does not exist (except as the occasional straw man to be thrown
up by politicians and raunchy pundits).
This notion that "the public" thinks, speaks or "has spoken" has absolutely
no veracity in this country.

The U.S. population encompasses a profoundly diverse group of individuals.
Our population expresses this diversity in terms of ethnicity, religion,
income, sexual orientation, political leanings, education, and in all the
various  combinations of the above.

Some will appreciate the work and the government's investment in it.
Some will appreciate and say we can't afford it at this time.
Some will say the government should never get involved in art.
Some will not even understand the term "public art" and never give such
things a thought.
Some will see it - enjoy it - get it - and never give another thought to how
it got there.
and the list goes on and on.

Regards,
George Lottermoser