Subject: [Leica] Camera-Lens comparisons
From: digiratidoc at gmail.com (James Laird)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:17:23 -0600

Tim,

That's interesting but I was commenting on Henning's statement that
'putting a 24-105 zoom on the Canon is just giving away way too much
when the Leica sports a 50 ASPH.' Not a valid comparison in my
opinion. Now as I said I'm not a fan of Canon glass in any way, that's
why I use Leica or Nikon glass almost exclusively. But why not be
fair. At least use a Canon 24-70L for the test if you're going to use
a zoom, or maybe a Sigma 50/1.4 in EF mount if you really want a valid
comparison.

I just don't think that the sensor is the limiting factor here. I've
never owned a 1Ds Mark III but I do know it by reputation. I remember
dpReview's opinion of the sensor: 'simply stunning output when used at
low ISOs with good glass.' And that's just my point. Don't put a dog
of a lens in front of the sensor and compare it with a Summilux!

Jim