Subject: [Leica] Magnum documentary on Chernobyl
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 09:07:46 -0800

Ken Carney offered::

> I have read many books on the Chernobyl incident, but this photo  essay is
> outstanding IMHO.  I was invited to be part of a trade  delegation to Kiev
> about a month after the explosion, but I begged  off.  The images may be
> disturbing to many.  It is impossible to  think how this would be
> multiplied, even in the case of a "limited"  nuclear attack or exchange.

> http://todayspictures.slate.com/inmotion/essay_chernobyl/ <<<

Hi Ken,
I was invited to Russia in 1992 to produce a documentary on their medical
profession similar as seen in my book "Doctor's Work. The Legacy of Sir
William Osler" on Canadian, and USA medical professionals.

While there a request to do something on the Chernobyl disaster. Surviving
children of the day and from the explosion.

In 60 years as a photojournalist I've never been so emotionally stressed out
photographing children, no where near as bad as we see in the Magnum series.
Never the less incredible.

The killer for me was while in a St. Petersburg hospital with a great number
of children. While doing rounds with one of the doctor's she told me, "we
would be with children whom she knew would never make it, period! Not a
hope!" That was bad enough to set me off because at home my grandchildren
were of similar ages as many there.

In a simple clean little room we entered to see a boy, maybe 6 or 7 yrs,
eyes closed lying on his bed. She sat down took his hand in hers, checking
pulse. Then in a very gentle soft quiet voice she began to sing a Russian
lullaby. There was no response from the child and I snapped away a few
frames.

Then she stopped, a glance at me, then reached for the blanket and pulled it
over the boy. He had succumbed to his illness while I was snapping away and
she was singing/humming her lullaby! I couldn't hold it back and began to
cry stepping out of the room. She finished her duties. Then comforted me in
the hall putting her arm about my shoulder

Even writing this, creates emotional feelings beyond anything I've ever
experienced in my career. Wars, destroyed body parts and many other horrible
situations! Never again!

Dr. ted. :-(

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Magnum documentary on Chernobyl)
Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Magnum documentary on Chernobyl)