Subject: [Leica] The sea never ends
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:45:22 -0500

They do look like bitmaps to me I think its great to go for the gusto and
milk all the contrast you can out of a shot in many cases but I do mainly
think that photography is about subtlety. And you hate to see it it go down
the drain. The silver that is. As in its not all about blacks and whites but
the grays which fit in between. Normally in darkroom work people start out
wanting to use a contrast paper two grades up from what would be normal for
the neg and after awhile they realize the thrills they get from watching
such images appear in the tray gets overshadowed but the rich range of
subtleties the photograph processs makes for. Though this is probably
digital I think most of it does apply. I think if you made two prints one
with the jacked up ultra contrast and put them next to each other plenty of
your nicest smartest more tasteful friends would admit to you that
clobbering power is great but more subtlety gives you and image with more
staying power. A more mature look. With a much later bedtime.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com
Cars:   http://tinyurl.com/2f7ptxb