Subject: [Leica] Giving pictures away for free
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 13:29:12 -0800

Hello Larry, a few points you may not understand nor had experience with.

>>>But first a couple of truths. Photography is not legally a
>>>profession.<<<<<<<

Maybe in the USA, however it is in some European countries.

>>There are no exams, no licenses, no boards of regulation, no educational
>>requirements.<<<

Really? There are in  some European countries.

>>Remember that every time a publication purchases a
> stock photo an otherwise unemployed photographer is not paid. In that
> sense
> stock agencies and the photographers who sell to them are inimical to the
> profession of photography.<<<

That isn't true either! We do not sell to stock agencies, if we do not
supply a set number of "ACCEPTED IMAGES A YEAR" you are toast and out the
door. I as a photographer belonging to a major stock agency in Canada have
been for more years than I can remember. Have always submitted images which
I paid for all the costs, then submitted a selection to the agency, where in
when an image was sold by the agency to a client. I received my share of the
sale, usually 50% and I recover my costs and paid for my production efforts.
Trust me I did not affect any unemployed photographers.

>>Sure a photographer should get paid for what he/she does - if someone is
>>willing to pay him/her.<<

I never had a problem with clients wishing to pay me at any time! They
called me, I received an assignment, I shot same, submitted images and they
quite willingly paid me for my efforts on their behalf! And it never ended!

Maybe you had a problem with this and never made it as an independent
shooter. If you ever where?
But there were times when I wished I could clone myself there were so many
"paying" assignment offerings I couldn't handle them all! Damn shame really.
Like on many occasions in other countries about the world!

>>>Photography is a business, and, according to the IRS, <<<<<,
Well there you go explaining government stuff in America, like who cares?

>>>Many LUG members, probably including Dr. Ted, who profess to making a
>>>nice living from photography, are
> not free lancers but are or were gainfully employed by some organization
> who paid them to take pictures.<<<<

Well now you are doing the old "freelance description" of someone who runs
around shooting then tries to sell the images after the fact.

Trust me the only photography I'm involved in that sense is... "shooting
material I feel the stock agency will accept and sell." I have been an
independent photographer who corporations, publications and other agencies
"hired me to shoot their assignments!" Since the birth of my registered
corporation June 1 - 1964!  The clients are too numerous to detail.

A couple of breaks from day to day assignments..
I spent an 11 month stint as Assnt. Executive Producer of the National Film
Board of Canada's Still Photography Division, paid bi-monthly. However
returned to my own company and my world as a "professional photographer!"
Far more exciting than being in an office day after day even if there were
beautiful secretaries and excellent pay benefits! :-)

Another short one as Photo Editor and Chief Photographer of a morning
newspaper.. "Ottawa Today" Hated almost every minute of it living a day to
day boring same old location routine!

I don't know how someone can handle such daily idiocy same old routine year
after year! I'd much rather the constant "Unknown of the day and what it
will bring!" More time than not, some of the most incredible assignments
about the world and locally. Never a bore and always well paid.

See it works like this in case you never had the wonderful opportunity to go
the independent route? Like for a life time... my experience against yours
... "60 years and counting with no end insight at the grand age of 82nd
year!" Bring it on!

If you are a life dedicated photographer/photojournalist and constantly
surprise your clients with very good photography..... they will hire you
again and again!  And they pass your name and ability off to others and it
goes from there to better and better!

And to round this off Larry, I do give prints away to those folks who are
complimentary of my photography and voice an opinion of a particular print.
So there you go eh!

cheers,
ted