Subject: [Leica] R glass on Nikon question - hopefully the last one.
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 10:37:27 -0800

Query for those Nikon/Leica shooters.  I converted one lens to Nikon mount
for experimenting with.  Finally got a chance to go to Seattle and try it on
a Nikon camera as a prerequisite for my getting the D7000.   The best they
had on the shelf for demo was a D90, so I gave it a try.  Mounted the lens,
checked the infinity focus and it was fine.  Selected A mode and tried to
shoot and it would not shoot.  Went to the clerk and he said because there
was no communications between the lens and camera it did not know what
f-stop it was.  We spun the f-stop wheel and it did not change anything.  On
my Canon, it just picks an f-stop if you don't have a chip, and you can
shoot.  I always choose f-2.0, as that works well.

I put the D90 it in M mode and still no f-stop, but it would fire.  But it
would not show any exposure readings in the viewfinder so I had no idea what
the correct exposure was.  I experimented a bit till I got the correct
exposure for f-2.0, then worked my way through the f-stops and shutter
speeds manually checking for any exposure problems ala Canon.   Spot on.
That problem is solved over Canon.

So, my question to those who use R glass on Nikon, how do you deal with this
problem of no f-stop communication?  The clerk said the D7000 and above has
a way of setting the f-stop in the menus, but I am wondering if I need to do
this for each lens?  Every time I change lenses?  That would be an even
bigger hassle than the Canon exposure problem.  How do you do it?

Aram

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] R glass on Nikon question - hopefully the last one.)
Reply from leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the LUG) ([Leica] R glass on Nikon question - hopefully the last one.)