Subject: [Leica] Lawnchair Larry Rides Again!
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 00:49:37 -0500

Remember Darwin Award winner Lawnchair Larry from 1982?

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Walters

Well, certifiably insane station manager Ken Freedman of WFMU in
Jersey City, NJ has procured weather balloons and many large tanks of
helium, preparing to heed that "Hey, Bubba, watch this!" from across
the decades.  It's a fundraising thing for his listener-supported
freeform radio station, the number of balloons to be filled to depend
on the money raised.  But he's done a lot of research, and enough cash
to meet the station's fundraising goal should loft him high over New
Jersey.

I'll be live(ish) photo-blogging the event, starting around 9AM
US-Eastern (as live as I can be using a real camera and ducking inside
periodically to pull pictures off and upload - I'm just not down with
the phone thing like the cool kids).

Pictures should show up here:

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbm0/sets/72157625428225585/

so check back periodically, or just follow the twitterbrations of
@WFMU as things proceed.

Do consider yourselves invited to toss a few dollars in the helium
fund to make this happen:

  http://www.wfmu.org/marathon/

It's for a good cause, the world's almost-certainly-coolest radio
station.

  http://www.wfmu.org/

Yrs,

  Jeff