Subject: [Leica] IMG: Jerusalem!
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 01:24:05 -0800

Our first sight of Jerusalem, at dusk. Do you prefer this one, or either
of the next two (narrower view, darker)?
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007687.jpg.html>

Temple Mount, Old City and West Jerusalem, from the Mount of Olives:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007700.jpg.html>

Gethsemane, from the bus:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007704.jpg.html>

Southern Wall of the Temple Mount and Al-Aqsa Mosque:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007710.jpg.html>

Dome of the Rock and Mount of Olives, from "David's Citadel":
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007725.jpg.html>

Arab schoolkids on a field trip, David's Citadel
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007728.jpg.html>

Christian Quarter:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007731.jpg.html>

Russian Orthodox priest and his wife (presumably):
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007733.jpg.html>
and their pilgrims:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007732.jpg.html>

And a tourist trap for Russian Orthodox pilgrims.  The signs read, in
part: Russian Store. Victor's Bazaar. We speak Russian.  Antiques.
Icons. Souvenirs. Etc.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007735.jpg.html>

Jewish Quarter, which was destroyed by the Jordanians in 1948-9, rebuilt
after 1967.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007739.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007759.jpg.html>

Southern and Western Walls of the Temple Mount, Dome of the Rock and
Al-Aqsa Mosque, from the Jewish Quarter.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007746.jpg.html>

Silhouette:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007749.jpg.html>

Old city walls:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007748.jpg.html>

Boundary of the Jewish Quarter:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007768.jpg.html>

Western Wall pictures start here, and the next 14:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007770.jpg.html>

In the archaeological tunnel at the base of the buried portion of the
Western Wall:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007790.jpg.html
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007789.jpg.html>

Woman praying in the tunnel closest to the spot  where the Holy of
Holies is believed to have been In both color and B&W.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007794.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007794_1.jpg.html>

At the Israel Museum.  Model of the city and Temple Mount as it probably
looked during before the Romans destroyed it in 70 CE, based on
historical sources.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007800.jpg.html>

Shrine of the Book, Israel Museum. This is where the Dead Sea Scrolls
are kept. The roof is shaped like the lids of the earthenware containers
in which they were found.  The water flow over the roof helps cool the
building.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007801.jpg.html>

Sunset from Ammunition Hill (see also the one before and after):
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/L1007803.jpg.html>

Hope you enjoyed the virtual tour.  Feel free to browse the whole folder.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/israel/8-BusJeru/?g2_page=1>
Suggestions for pictures to trumpet or eliminate welcome.  I could
hardly be objective, especially at the Wall.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] IMG: Jerusalem!)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: Jerusalem!)
Reply from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] IMG: Jerusalem!)