Subject: [Leica] SHUTTING DOWN! CLOSING THE SHOP. :-) MAYBE.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 10:17:56 -0800

George Lottermoser offered:
Subject: [Leica] NOW Stock Photography WAS DMR out there for sale?

> Back in the day
> One of the best stock agencies
> was called 4X5.
> All of their stock was
> as you may guess 4x5 Transparencies.
>
> I still have some of their catalogs
> actually printed on paper.
>
> talk about showing one's age.<<<<

Hi George,
"Showing ones age?" :-) That's better than "Getting old?" :-)  It sounds
better when using "age or aging" as in a fine wine. :-) Or becoming of
maturing nature, as in the maturing of fine single malt scotch! :-) ;-)

It only becomes the beginning of the end when you start clearing filing
cabinets and equipment bits and pieces for the "GETTING OLD!" to set in and
take it's toll. I have finally been convinced by family and friends to clean
out all the filing cabinets of letters, invoices, files and brochures some
and media accreditations from long forgotten assignments about the world.

The memories flood through the mind as a torrent from a burst dam. The daily
note books, lists of assignments, who to see, the "folks who could open
doors" when required. Even some old plane tickets and boarding passes.
Amazing what we collect as time moves along. "PHOTO" arm bands indicating a
media photog, "PHOTO BIBS" you could  read from near a mile away.  Photos
illustrating those wild and crazy times after the closing ceremonies of an
Olympic event or similar major assignment.... Don't remember seeing so many
semi-drunken photographers in my life! But dang it was always a fantastic
time year after year.

Tear sheets from magazines, newspapers and design layouts for advertising.
An amazing pile of  ... at this moment ... "of junk!" I'm sure we'll fill
one of the big recycle trucks next week. :-) Obviously looking through the
bits and pieces of letters, notes and wherever all this stuff came from
...... "IT TRULY WAS A TIME TO LIVE !" And work as a
photojournalist/commercial photographer. Just had to and still do, "LOVE IT
WITH GREAT PASSION!" :-)

Oh I'm not going anywhere, not just yet. Me and the Great Spirit have a
deal, simply because he has saved my butt from death and destruction so many
times in the 60 year photo career, He's agreed to give me some more rope to
make it to the even 100! Always think positive! So that means you folks will
have to put up with me for at least another 18 years. :-) Obviously, if the
Great Spirit keeps up his end of the deal? :-) I have no doubt he will!

Besides in January I've been assigned along with a writer to produce an 8
week special feature series on some of the more magnificent homes and owners
in our area. Not bad, don't have to leave home, no worry of stepping on
IED's or being shot. :-)

Sorry must knock this off and get back to my cleaning chores. No one needs
to quit as long as they can hold a camera. .... But far more important?
......... still produce magical moment photographs.

We shall see? ;-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] SHUTTING DOWN! CLOSING THE SHOP. :-) MAYBE.)