Subject: [Leica] Kitchen table
From: daniel at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:47:21 +0100

Thanks all,

I wish the camera had controls that were easier to work with, like a
dial each for shutter speed and aperture. Maybe one dial for EV and
then another to move up and down the various combinations for a given
EV. That is what I've always liked about the Rolleiflex. Combined with
a Digilux, which gives read-outs in EV, it makes for a seamless
transfer from from meter to camera.

I've always worked like this. I remember giving up on the meters in my
Nikons and going back to doing things this way, which gave me the
control I wanted. Basically it means that I end up always doing about
the same thing in Lightroom instead of having to compensate for now
this, and then that, depending on what the automated readings
delivered.

It's simple. I see the light I like, I read it falling onto the
subject in the places I am interested in, and hope for the best
everywhere else. I always use the meter in incident light reading
mode. I've never really come to grips with reflected readings. Most of
the the time you just end up adjusting a reflected reading, based on
the tone of the subject, so that you end right back up with what you
would have gotten with incident light. But that's just me. I'm not
preaching, just explaining how I work.

In a place like a kitchen, the background will go a little darker
since it is further away from the light source. I didn't have to do
anything about that. It just turned out that way. Though I knew it
would and planned for it.

I think it's time to pick up another meter to have in reserve, before
they disappear from the market. Mine is worn down smoother from all
the years in my pocket. You can't read any of the stamped on numbers
anymore. I don't really need them. I know where EV 7, 9, 12 ,13 and 16
end up. This one was an EV 7. In the summer, it climbs up to EV 9.
Talk about nerdy.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Kitchen table)