Subject: [Leica] Christmas chores [and cheer!]
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 14:19:46 -0500

2010-12-24-10:41:29 Tina Manley:
> I looked up where the
> oyster stew tradition came from:
>
> In Bill Neal?s Southern Cooking
> <http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Neals-Southern-Cooking-Neal/dp/0807842559/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291669463&sr=8-1#_>
> (1989), Neal writes, ?Before acceptance of refrigerated food transport (for
> meat only, first, and that was in the 1880s), inland food supplies depended
> on the weather.

Thanks for sharing that bit of history!

Oh, and I think Bill Neal's book has a good recipe for traditional
from-scratch eggnog.  It's so nice and fluffy compared to the
storebought stuff!  It's pretty seriously liquored-up, though, so some
guests can be taken aback.

Basically, cocktail drinkers who are used to the likes of Manhattans
and Martinis will take it in stride, but people whose idea of a drink
is something sweet from a blender will make that "whoof" face.  If you
proportionally reduce all the alcohols to about 3/4 or even 2/3 of
their representation in the original recipe, that might increase the
comfort of some guests.  But the original is a blast from the past, a
reminder of how sturdy some of the traditional milk punches were.

And of course it's not for those who fear raw eggs.

Actually, since maybe not everybody here has the Neal book, let me
transcribe the recipe from my notes, just in time for holiday
gatherings:

Eggnog

   - 6 eggs, separated, at room temperature

   - About 1/3 cup sugar, or to taste

   - 1 c. brandy

   - 1 c. rye whiskey

   - 1/2 c. dry sherry

   - 1/2 c. white rum

   - 2 c. milk

   - 2 c. heavy cream

   - Freshly grated nutmeg

   Beat the egg yolks until very light and doubled in volume. Slowly add
   the sugar, and continue to beat very hard while carefully adding the
   liquors.  Stir in the milk and the cream.  Beat the egg whites until
   stiff and fold in.  Set aside or refrigerate several hours before
   serving.  Garnish the cups with fresh nutmeg.  20 servings.

Replies: Reply from daniel at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Christmas chores [and cheer!])
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Christmas chores [and cheer!])
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] IMG: Christmas chores)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Christmas chores)