Subject: [Leica] Computer Woes
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip F)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 14:41:29 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

These days any of the big linux sidtros are easier than ever to use. Most of
them ship with a VM as a part of basic configuration. I run opensuse gnome
and do all my image editing work in ufraw and gimp. For the odd color
fringing in a digital image i run cornerfix in WINXP running on a VirtualBox
VM in linux. The average computer user today is savvy enough to run a Mac
with bootcamp so setting up and running VBox or VMware is no more difficult.
Not much if any, command line usage anymoreso the very average user can
easily do this. And if they are a photographer who knows the difference
between a RAW file and a jpg then they probably know enough to make linux a
powerful tool, either for diagnoses of a problem in another OS or just for
daily use.
Now that GIMP and the RAW converters are up to the task of creating
professional output with good UI andcross-application adaptability, maybe
linux can take a bigger share of the graphics market which forces most
people to be locked into photoshop which will probably never be ported to
linux.  Once Darktable is released in its first non-beta form then lightroom
and captureone will have an open source cometitor.

Phil Forrest