Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 47, Issue 91
From: bs.pearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:50:22 -0600

Larry,
How much did a car cost in 1954? My guess is that the ratio of camera/car
would hold good even today - you can get a small car for the cost of a M9,
and a smaller one for the cost of a M7 (at least here in India), and a
pretty good one for the cost of an S2.

That's a good analysis. The price of cars has actuallly fallen when
corrected for inflation, as you can get in the US a good car brand new for
under $10,000 with features unheard of even ten years ago. I remember when
my parent got a new car in the early fifties, a decent ford or chevrolet was
under $1500, and didn't last as long and required more maintenance than a
regular ford or chevrolet (or Honda or toyota) now, which is only slightly
more than an M9. My wife's VW Eos, about $38,000 two years ago, compares to
the S2 in both fun, quality and heritage.

If you do not use these
cameras, do not buy them!
Good advice for cars and cameras both!

Bill Pearce