Subject: [Leica] AVAILABLE LIGHT @ NIGHT TAXI CRASH... FUN STUFF. :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:04:20 -0800

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Dr_+Ted+Grant/

Hi crew,
A few interesting out of the mouths of the innocent! :-) Have a look and
smile.

Early evening, dark, only street lights and passing car lights, residential
area.

My 20 year old grandson Scott, better known as "WINK" rushed in the house...
"hey there's a crash at the corner, cop cars and wrecked cars. G'pa where's
your camera?"  His own camera a Canon T2i ? is in the trunk of his car.

Grabs my M8 set @ ISO 160! 21mm C/V lens and out the door. This is a dark
night obviously no flash because "G'pa" doesn't own one. :-) Several minutes
later he's back with some frames.... Oh yeah all hand held!

Me: "Wink did you change the ISO it was only set at 160! Did you get
anything?"

WINK: " Oh yeah, the crashed front end of the taxi, a few close-ups of the
Cop in his cruiser."

ME: "What shutter speed were you shooting at?"

WINK: " I don't know, I was watching the light of the passing cars as they
lit the scene and was shooting when everything lit up!"

ME: " Did you get anything with that little amount of light at ISO 160?"

WINK: "Oh yeah sure because you've always said.... READY GUYS? :-) " If you
can see it . You can shoot it!" :-) I smiled, this kid is going to be a good
one! :-)

ME: "What  shutter speed? "

WINK: "Some at 1/2 second. hand held!"

ME: " WINK you can't get good pictures hand held at a 1/2 second let's
look."

WINK:  " Nobody told me you couldn't do that, so I just did it & shot!"  :-)

OK folks have a look as it's not bad at night by  a neophyte without
experience. And several others like it all at slow speeds.

A smiling G'pa :-)
He has been shooting for several months B&W with an M6 so he does know how
to handle the camera. Accept nobody told him you really shouldn't shoot at
1/2 second until you've got lots of experience and even then? "YOU'RE LIVING
DANGEROUSLY!"

He is attending the local photojournalism college for photography and
writing .
cheers,
Dr. ted  :-)

Replies: Reply from topoxforddoc at btinternet.com (Charlie Chan) ([Leica] AVAILABLE LIGHT @ NIGHT TAXI CRASH... FUN STUFF. :-))