Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2010: the Puerto Rico that few tourists see
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 12:55:19 +0100

My first full day in Puerto Rico, and you get two pictures--what a deal!

I detest the sanitized shopping malls and strip malls which abound in Puerto
Rico, and I stay away from the fast-food chains which also abound here. The
influence from the mainland is not always benign. But yesterday afternoon my
brother-in-law took me and my son to a roadside restaurant in San Lorenzo, a
small town inland where most of my wife's family lives. We had a local snack
called alcapurrias:

http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_netUM#1142376378_Fa7vP-O-LB

This is my kind of place, for sure. And this impression was further
confirmed when we were treated to a couple of shots of the local moonshine,
ca?ita, at the end:

http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_netUM#1142376461_u5EAr-O-LB

These are the kind of places and experiences I seek when I travel, rather
than the sterile beachside resorts which dominate the coast around the
capital San Juan and are no different than similar horrible places elsewhere
in the world.

For more on the food, see here:
http://www.ricanrecipes.com/recipes/detail.php?id=56
and the moonshine is here: