Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Farewell 2010
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:30:52 -0800

Tina: You might try re-installing the audio drivers.  We used Dells at
work for years, and on certain models, the audio driver was notorious
for stepping on itself and ceasing to work.  Go to:

<http://support.dell.com>

Enter your service tag number (Mixed numbers and letters on the back of
the computer. Then go to "Drivers and Downloads" or something similar.
Find the latest audio driver that matches what you have, download it and
run it. Note where it stored so you can run it again if this happens again.

If it's hardware, of course, then this won't help. Play a CD or a
streaming audio site.  Try jiggling the speaker/headphone plug and see
if the sound cuts in and out.  That would mean a loose or corroded
socket.  Dell will have to fix that.

And, (pardon me if this is obvious) check your volume controls.  Uncheck
any "mute" boxes, and tweak up your various volume controls, including
master volume, to see if that makes any difference.  It's possible that
something you have installed is resetting things to suit itself, to the
detriment of normal sound.

Happy New Year anyway!

--Peter

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMGS: Farewell 2010)